Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dear Nicole

Dear Nicole,


I have a problem. I don't know how to choose a profession. Plus I am from a rural area and I don't want to study here after high school. I have one more year in school. Can you give me some advice on what to do next? How do I find out about my interests? HELP!?!



A: Great question. I would suggest you start with your guidance counselor at school. They should be able to point you in the direction you need to go regarding your interests and possible school or training programs. Now your school may not have a faculty member like a counselor who can help you with something like this. If that is the case, then you can find a local community college. Many community colleges actually have career centers. There they can offer you written inventories and other checklists that will help you figure out what path you may want to take. There are also many people who enter college without a declaring a major for at least a year so that they can figure out what they like and are good at. Internships are also a sure bet to help you figure out what industries may interest you and which ones you totally want to avoid! Hope this helps!

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

# #